Wednesday, July 7, 2010

What Future?

World leaders bent on total domination have been in the business of shaping the future from the time of the first Pharaoh. Nebuchadnezzar, Genghis Khan, Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar, William the Conqueror, Adolf Hitler, Mao Tse-tung, and virtually every other political leader -- elected or self-appointed -- have fought for their version of a future world. Some leaders want a unified world with themselves at the helm; some just want to get re-elected; some want to free their people; others want to subjugate and terrorize their populations.


Politicians constantly manipulate opinions in order to gain power and prestige. Some politicians go so far as to predict dire consequences for our future using scientific jargon and inflammatory language designed to browbeat others, win recognition, and thus secure their personal financial future.


It seems as if we have always been fascinated by the concept of the future. From Doris Day singing "Que Sera Sera" to Zager and Evans predictions in "2525," song artists have shared their vision of the future. Futurologists like Carl Sagan and John Naisbitt shared their take on the future -- even proclaiming to have the definite answers. Writers such as George Orwell (1984 and Aldous Huxley (Brave New World offered opposing views of the future in their books. Orwell feared those who would withhold information; Huxley predicted we would get so much information we wouldn't care. Orwell wrote that truth would be hidden from us; Huxley felt that truth would become irrelevant, succumbing to platitudes and slogans. Orwell envisioned people controlled by their pain; Huxley feared people would be controlled by giving them their desires -- with no consequences. Orwell gave us "Big Brother"; Huxley gave us mind-altering drugs.


I look around and see the Internet which puts forth so much information I can't process it. I see truth reduced to slogans and sound bites. I see actions without consequences. I see Big Brother issuing speeding tickets using a remote camera. I see a multinational, billion-dollar industry thriving on the sale and distribution of illegal, mind-altering drugs. I see world leaders posturing for global domination. I have even lived long enough to see public schools handing out birth-control measures designed to remove the guilt and consequences of casual sex. Around the world, governments of all types generate enormous wealth -- often with the stated intention of helping those in need and less fortunate -- yet always, or so it seems, end up taking more for themselves and their cronies.


This may all seem obvious, but there is a reason why I mention it. Is our society at a place where we need strong men to stand up for Christ? Is it time for men of God to oppose any religion that would destroy Christ? Is it time for men to work to reclaim Christian values in our society, among our elected officials, and in our laws? Is it time we become true stewards of the land -- as well as the possessions and the intellect we have been entrusted with? Is it time to match action with words?


Just wondering . . .


So what is our future?

 

1 comment :

Rwilli said...

Interesting commentary and terrifyingly accurate, I believe this is the first blog I have ever responded to, which says something to my belief in your topic. I do believe it is time to mobilize the Christian men of the world. The only thing I fear is that it is too late. As I look around our congregation on Sundays there is one thing in particular that I find noticeably lacking, the men. The world has done an outstanding job of enticing them from the realms of the concerned and caring. What motivation will it take to get them involved, caring, and back in the fight. I have to say I have been very impressed with what I have seen from the lhnman’s site and we are currently using your materials in our new men’s Bible study, it is greatly appreciated. Perhaps it is the small things like the Bible studies that will get them involved again but I fear it may be something much more catastrophic. I do believe our future as God fearing Christians who are able to practice and preach our faith openly may be numbered.

Thank you for your comments and I will make this blog a regular stop in my routine.