Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Freedom Is Not Free

This Fourth of July I will fly the stars and stripes -- proudly. I am thrilled to be a citizen of a country that welcomes opposing viewpoints, that encourages open and rational debates, and that protects those who are different. I am proud to be a citizen of a country that offers abundant opportunities for its citizens to make the most out of their lives.

This Fourth of July I will honor the Triune God without fear of retribution, reprisal, or rebuke. I am proud to be a citizen of a country that permits -- and protects -- my choice of worship. I will remember -- as I hope I do every day -- that what we have in the United States is a way of life that is the absolute envy of the world.

This Fourth of July I will eat hot dogs and drink the beverage of my choice, as I get together with my family and cherish our time together. I am proud to be a citizen of a country where my family can freely congregate, partaking in one another's company, and practicing our family traditions without fear of arrest.

This Fourth of July I will join with my fellow citizens and watch the night sky explode with sound and color. I am proud to be a citizen of a country that honors its past and the veterans -- both men and women -- who gave their time, their energy, and often their very lives to secure the freedoms we currently enjoy.

Make no mistake on this one: freedom is not free -- never was, never will be. It was with the sacrifice of blood that our founding fathers forged this magnificent nation. Each succeeding generation has paid a heavy price for our freedoms to continue. And though the blood of countless citizens has been shed to win and preserve our freedom, there's more to it than that. There's a home front that must be minded as well. Ensuring our freedoms continue requires the hard work and diligent perseverance on this side of the battlefield. Bob Dylan sums it up when he says, "I think of a hero as someone who understands the degree of responsibility that comes with his freedom."

I am honored to do my part in this demanding and necessary work. I will be an informed voter. I will speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves. I will support those fighting overseas to ferret out and eliminate those whose perverse ambition is to terrorize anyone who doesn't conform to their totalitarian agenda. I will honor those who safeguard our country's future. I will support those who likewise serve and protect us here at home. I will work for justice and freedom to the best of my ability, and I will pray that God's will be done in our nation and in my heart.

Will you take 15 minutes this Fourth of July and remember the cost of your freedom?

God bless America.

1 comment :

Unknown said...

I think we should not just seek to "elminate those whose perverse ambistion is to terrorize anyone" but rather we should pray they open their hearts and learn of Jesus.