Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year!

As we turn the calendar page today to start 2013, it's customary to look back at the events of last year and evaluate the lessons we've learned throughout 2012. For example, we learned new things about ship captains, as the Costa Concordia ran aground in Italy. We also learned that Archie Manning has some talented children. We grieved with the victims of killer tornados, monster hurricanes, and the unspeakable atrocity that recently took place in Newtown, Connecticut. We learned the Internet isn't as secure as we thought, hearing how some major companies had gotten hacked and personal data was swiped. We learned lessons in the election, and we saw the clay feet of some heroes. We crowned sports champions and paused as the world gathered across the pond in London for the quadrennial Olympics. We mourned with our fallen comrades, who gave their lives in service to their country and their fellow men. We experienced market losses and gains. We were touched by many events, some of which will leave a profound impression on us the rest of our lives.

As we look forward to 2013, we can take stock of what we'll learn from the past, while not repeating those errors we know we can avoid. Yes, the annual New Year's resolution list will be drawn up with care.

Though not everything from 2012 has to be trashed, does it? What will you keep this coming year? There are many things I will try to continue in 2013: consistent church attendance, regular Bible reading, daily time spent in prayer, talking to my children, keeping my word, paying my debts, loving my wife, listening more, talking less -- and these are just a few I want to hang on to.

What do you plan to carry over into the New Year?

Of course, I plan on changing some habits in the coming year too. In addition to the ever-popular goal of weighing less and exercising more, I would really like to listen more and talk less, have daily contact with my family, and become the leader I need to be.

It won't be easy. But as I become more the person I can be and less the person I am, the New Year will certainly improve.

And that's something I can already be thankful for.

Happy New Year!

No comments :