Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Don't Forget To Have Fun

On the wall in front of my desk I've posted a reminder: "Don't forget to have fun - Every day leave yourself some time to enjoy, to be silly, to laugh." There are days when this sign mocks me, as the laughter is scarce, and the silliness is squashed by the serious. When the day at work yields little to no opportunity for fun, I feel drained and exhausted on the drive home. I then look for ways to find some fun at home, which is not always an easy thing, especially if I come home to an empty house. Compounding this frustration is the fact I am left to my own devices when it comes to my evening meal.

On the other hand, I've discovered the days that bring the most smiles are the days I am the most productive. I leave work energized, eager to go home. If I happen to enter an empty house, then I look for ways to have fun with the food at my disposal. I create concoctions with what items are available -- most of which are still edible. After "dinner" I watch some recorded shows that try to creatively prove or disprove what is portrayed in the movies. At other times I watch an obstacle course contest where nimble participants marshal wits and energy to compete on a course full of slippery balls, battering rams, and spraying foam that -- to my amusement -- always involves someone falling headlong into the water and wiping out. Afterwards, I may take a run with the dog or just kick back with the Xbox.

If family is around I enjoy shaking things up a bit. Maybe I'll play some Xbox with the kids, or watch a movie on Netflix.

One of the best nights I can remember with my dad was the night mom was working and dad let us stay up until midnight. We laughed, we played, and we enjoyed each other's company.

One of the best nights I remember with my kids was when their mom was working and we stayed up until midnight. We laughed, we played, and we enjoyed each other's company.

Over the years we've faced hard times as a family, but we never forgot the times when we had fun. It's interesting now that the days I forget to have fun seem to fade, but the fun times get etched into my memory.

As the summer of 2012 winds down, don't forget to have fun.

You'll be glad you did.

No comments :