Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Of Beards and Bacon

The other day I was walking thorough Sears, looking for a snow blower, when it hit me: just about every guy in the store was sporting a beard. I then proceeded to the Home Depot in my snow blower search and found the vast majority of men had beards there too. Turning on the TV that evening bore out what I have suspected for awhile now: facial hair on men is in style.

Being a man who easily succumbs to peer pressure I, too, have now entered the ranks of men with beards.

I know I don't speak for everyone, but having a beard has its advantages. For one thing, I have more time in the morning for meaningful conversation with the family, as I don't have to shave. Also, the cold weather doesn't bother me as much and, surprising to me, I've even developed a slight swagger to my walk.

Naturally, there are a few downsides: the itching, the trimming, and the need to remember to brush out the occasional crumb, but all that is a small price to pay for being a manly man.

I've also noticed something else, and this is important. It seems certain segments of society today dictate that to be a man one must eat lots of bacon. (Then again, this might just be my own thinking here.) For instance, the mushrooming of bacon-related products and concoctions makes it hard to keep up with the latest inventions. Case in point: not too long ago I experienced bacon-topped corn bread with jalapenos, and I must admit it was very good.

I also found bacon-shaped earrings for that special gal in my life. Call me "old fashioned," but my little lady won't have to do without much longer.

But does eating bacon and having a beard really make the man?

It's my opinion it's not what goes into our bodies or the amount of hair on our chin that defines us as men; rather, it's how we live, act and lead.

For me a real man is one who protects the weak, cherishes those he loves, honors his commitments, takes care of his business, and owns up to his actions. For me the mark of a man is one who is strong in his faith, leads his family wisely, and does what he says he will do.

Beards, bacon and other such things will come and go, but for me they're short-lived fads. Genuine manliness comes from the inside where our character is forged.

The women in our lives know this too, but that doesn't mean they don't appreciate life's little niceties.

Excuse me now while I try to find a matching pork rind choker for my wife's earrings. She's going to be so thrilled come Valentine's Day!

No comments :