Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The Almost Accident

So I was driving to work the other day. It was a great drive in; the traffic was light; I hit every light green, and the radio played all my favorite songs. It was as if the entire world was revolving around moi, making every effort to please me.

I was coming up to the intersection where I turn left. As I did, the light turned green, and I was slowing up, making my turn. Just then I heard the blare of a horn and the sound of rubber gripping the road. I looked up to see a very large, black pick-up trying desperately not to hit me.

Evidently, in my hypnotic state of reverie I failed to notice my left-turn arrow had changed to a full green light. When this happens, approaching traffic has the right of way. (Just in case you didn't know that.)

Fortunately, the truck stopped -- came to a screeching halt, actually. I sped up, and we both had an I-almost-had-an-accident story to tell around the dinner table: he blaming me and me blaming me.

I almost had an accident because I was thinking about all the things I needed to take care of at work, home, and with the family. I took time later that day to write down everything I absolutely needed to accomplish. Beyond that, I let go of all the other worries as they raced through the windows of my mind.

The drive home after work was less eventful, for all I had to think about was dinner. Since I like almost anything I don't have to make, and because the wife was cooking, life was good.

Guys, sometimes we need a reality check that prompts us to let go of the clutter in our heads. We need to be alert. That's why this coming Labor Day is so important. Put away the to-do list and concentrate on resting, relaxing and reconnecting with your family and friends.

After all, you've still got four months before 2013 is history.

Happy Labor Day rest to you!

No comments :