Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Be Proactive

Okay, I admit it. I like words. The word "proactive" has always fascinated me. I ran across the word when I was sent an e-mail that shared some insights form the book 7 Habits of Highly Effective People written by Stephen R. Covey. He makes the observation that effective people are proactive people.

I like proactive. It combines "pro," which often means "in favor of" and "active," which means, well, "action." So to be proactive means I'm a guy in favor of taking action. Yep, that's me. I'm in favor of taking action and I believe all guys are in favor of action, especially in their movie choices.

Covey suggests effective people do more than just take action; they take initiative. Now that may be splitting hairs, but a man who takes the initiative is a man who knows he is responsible for his actions and gets involved without being prompted. He acts out of principle and value rather than out of habits or circumstances.

Men, do you take the initiative? How early is it to start teaching your children, to be involved in their lives, to set boundaries and limits, to know their friends, to read the Bible with them, to pray for them, to listen to their prayers, to forgive, to model, to give them dreams, to give them skills, to be the man in their life? My Dad was involved from early on. He was there with me from diapers to tux, from milk to whisky and from trikes to cars -- and all the stages in-between.

My Dad modeled for me the effectiveness of being proactive. Because of his example I, too, was involved early on in the lives of my children. Because of him, it was natural for me. He helped me be a better dad.

But, guys, it isn't just about being active in the lives of kids. It's being a man of integrity who takes action and initiative based on the solid principles and values from the Bible. Men, you can step up and be a man of action -- no matter what your past has been. This can be anything from changing a widow's spark plugs to ladling soup in the kitchen, from painting the house to sharing your skills at sports or music, from speaking out against injustice to being a prayer warrior.

Being proactive gets things done.

I like being proactive.

No comments :