Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Life Changing Moment - The Job

"Help Wanted" -- what great news those two words are. There comes a time in every man's life when he looks for an opportunity to use his God-given gifts and talents, to earn income, and to accomplish productive work. When that time comes, "help wanted" is a beacon of hope.

"The Interview" -- offers a time for anxiety, self-doubt, and perspiration. For it is in the interview that one must do what one is not used to -- brag. Men are expected to present themselves in the most positive light possible -- never easy, but always necessary.

"You're Hired" -- is cause for rejoicing and celebration. These words mean you are worthy, you are capable, and that someone will actually pay you money to do that which you enjoy doing (usually) -- how great is that? Once a man has been hired to fill a position, he starts to redefine who he is. He now describes himself in terms of his occupation - "I am a plumber." "I am a bricklayer." I am a pilot." "I am a welder." "I am a cowpoke," etc.

Life is changed by the phrase, "you're hired."

In addition to any work or occupation we may have, we have been given another task -- a "mission" if you will. This mission or job we have been given is one that can have eternal consequences. This is a job you never lose. This is a job everyone already has!

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age" (Matthew 28:19-20).

What an awesome job that is! The good news is you already have this job and the Holy Spirit gives you the power to do it! How are you doing in your job?

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

This is a job I;m excited to have and am ready to spend the rest of my life learning and doing. "I am not willing, but want God to teach me to be willing", is a quote I heard by Adrian. I was baptised at age 38 and prayed for a new life in Christ. The changes he made were amazing. So I have learned the power in him are so much more powerful than the power in me. I'm now letting go on this as well. I want him to use me as his servant and for his purpose.

Anonymous said...

I believe that there is nothing wrong with desiring the "greater" gifts of the Spirit... such as that of being an apostle, missionary, or evangelist.

But we should keep in mind what the apostle Paul teaches in 1 Corinthians 12... that even though we are all of one Body, the Body of Christ. and all of the same Spirit, we do not all receive the same gifts of the Spirit, nor perform the same service in the Body of Christ.

The "Great Commission"...

"18And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. 19Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen." (Matthew 28),

...is given to Christ's Church and it is by the power of Christ Jesus (verse 18), that the Church performs this mission.

The Great Commission is not given to a particular person, nor a particular group of people, nor is it given to everyone to be accomplish by everyone preaching the Gospel.

It is given to Christ's Church as a whole, to be accomplished by the Church as a whole, through the unique Spiritual Gifts that each of us receives from God.

I have been labeled "apathetic" by several in my parish, because I am not out racking up "unchurched" contacts... and really all I can say in my defense is... "God's Will be done".

Blessings,
Al

The Layman said...

At age 68 I now make a point of bringing up the word of God in many of my posts,If it seems it might fit the moment. The older I get, the more pronounced is the difference and meaning in the book of Proverbs. Let me also share that when first married and you make that vow to your lady and your GOD. Keep showing up on The next Sunday as there is no better HERITAGE you can leave for your family than to lead the way by example.